8/31/11

Weird Science Wednesday!


Cornstarch and Water Experiment

  First we put cornstarch in a bowl.
There are three states of matter.  Liquid, solid and gas.
What do you think this is? 
 "A solid.  It's definitely dry. When it's on my fingers it feels like rubber.  It's smooth."
Next we added water. 
What happened?

"Feels kind of warm.  Feels like gooeyness. "
Is it still a solid?
"Definitely wet and it's like a rock.  Reminds me of the Tar Pits.  I'm putting my hand in to see what happens.  It turns to rock.  It's trying to hang on to me!"


"It feels super good. It feels kinda weird like plastic.  
When you break it apart it actually turns into a rock."


When you squeeze the cornstarch and water mixture, the molecules line up so it feels like a solid.  
It looks and acts like a liquid when no one is pressing it because the molecules relax.  
This is another state of matter called Suspension.

No comments: